Monday, June 26, 2006

And you thought Philly sports fans were bad!

World Cup pee is killing the trees in Berlin. Clearly this is proof positive that European sports fans are no more civilized that their American counterparts. Guardian UK:
The only thing the organisers of the World Cup appear to have got wrong is the number of toilets provided. Biologists have warned that trees in Berlin are in danger of dying because of male fans urinating in the bushes. The huge, leafy 'fan mile' in the centre of the city has regularly been attracting crowds of up to 700,000 who have gathered to drink beer, eat sausages and watch games on giant screens - but it only has 280 portable loos.
Now I'd be lying if I said I've never wee'd on a tree before, but I try to rotate my targets as much as possible. For all other outside pissers, I recommend doing the same. So does Tilman Lamparter, a biologist at Berlin's Free University who cautions, "The urea sinks into the ground as ammonia. In small quantities this is a good fertiliser, but too much acidity is bad for the soil and could damage or even kill the trees."

Not to mention the smell!

1 comment:

jay lassiter said...

scheisse!!