Wednesday, March 22, 2006

If you could ask one question......

...of the very first American who was acquitted from deathrow by DNA evidence (back in the 90's) what would it be? This guy (Kirk Bloodsworth, who is from my hometown on the Chesapeake) was charged with a brutal murder and was on prison (and on deathrow) for 8 years before the DNA thing cleared him. I should note, the real killer was caught and since confessed.

Now in addition to my little blog, I am also a writer for the progressive website Bluejersey.net. Here in NJ, there is a death penalty moritorium and progressive activists like me are fighting like hell to have it abolished once and for all. So, when i heard that Kirk Bloodsworth was coming to NJ I contacted him to see if I could get an interview while he's in town. He agreed and as you might imagine this is a terrific scoop for my cause (and for me too.) I will be posting the interview as a podcast on the Bluejersey site in the hopes that precisely this type of story is what will end the death penalty in this state. In fact, the thought of interviewing him makes me feel like Lois Lane and Mother Theresa all at once!

WHAT SHOULD I ASK THIS GUY?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would first ask what he has done to rebuild his life. What challenges has he faced? Has he been hindered by any stigma stemming from his wrongful conviction?
What are his views of the judicial system as it operates today?

Just for the record, I am vehemently opposed to the death penalty, in part just because of cases like this.

Anonymous said...

I would ask him what advice he would give ordinary people who want to help others in his position,(when he was in prison) as it's still a huge issue in US and my country Canada.

I found you through David Amulet's page, great blog, I will keep reading. My blog is mainly pop culture and humour but I really care about the issues you speak of.