Sunday, March 05, 2006

Bjorn Borg to auction Wimbledon trophies

How sad is this?

Five-time winner Bjorn Borg is auctioning his Wimbledon trophies next week. Additionally, the winning rackets are also up for sale. According to the ex-champ,
"Obviously it is not easy to part with the trophies that symbolise all the tremendous effort, both physically and emotionally that it took to win Wimbledon on five occasions. However, I do need to have some long-term financial security for those close to me and now believe that the time is right for the trophies and rackets to pass to either a tennis collector or a suitable institution where they can be appreciated by a wider number of people."
In other words, he's broke.
I had a huge crush on this guy in the early 80's. He seemed like a Nordic god to me, with those blond wavy locks and that stoic on-court demeanor. And what a body! Remember this was a shorter-shorts era (see pic) long before basketball star Michael Jordan popularized that damn baggy-shorts look that's the norm nowadays.

Anyways, Borg's Wimbledon trophies are expected to fetch a cool half-million.

As a caviat, I should note the Borg's biggest Wimbledon payday was ~$1oo,ooo ( in 198o.) Today's champ earns 10x that much.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very tragic. The trophies should stay with his family, not sold off to the highest bidder.

Onanite

Anonymous said...

That is very tragic. The trophies should stay with his family, not sold off to the highest bidder.

Agreed, but if ya gotta do it...ya gotta do it. Imagine, though what that $100,000 could have done for Borg if it had simply been invested in...say...Microsoft in the early 80's.

Course, I could say the same. What if I'd diligently invested say $1000/year for each year from 84 through 94? Ah...hindsight.

sailu said...

That's very unfortunate.Well,that's life ,I guess.

David Amulet said...

This makes me ill, too. Unlike most of our possessions, things like a Wimbeldon trophy, an Olympic medal, or a picture of yourself with David Amulet are really worth keeping. I know that 100K isn't that much now, but that was like 25 years ago--he could/should have invested some of that and been just fine now.

I also liked the name "Borg." Always made me think of the Swedish Chef on the Muppets: "Mmm Bork Bork Bork!"

-- david

Anonymous said...

I too am saddened that Borg is forced to pardon this trophies for monetary reasons. I vividly recall his epic battles with John McEnroe, especially the 1980 Wimbeldon final. Although McEnroe was my favorite player I admired Borg's stoicism and grace under pressure. Tennis misses him.

David Amulet said...

Maybe Borg can go on Dancing with the Stars to restart his career.

-- david

jay lassiter said...

you got that right!