Thursday, August 02, 2007

No. More. Junkmail. Ever!

Opting out of Junkmail?  Sign me up!

Junk mail (especially those darn credit card solicitations) creates an astonishing 8,000,000,000 pounds of waste per year.  Of course much of this is recyclable but it's still problematic for two reasons:  1) the trees have already been cut and 2) most people still don't recycle anyway. 


If you're like me, you tear right through these bits of junk mail right away and toss it into the recycle bin.  You also might ask yourself how the hell you, as a consumer, can reduce the amount of junk mail that ends up in your box. 


I recommend checking out this (secure) site where you can opt out! of unsolicited credit card junk mail.  It's akin to the "do not call" list, but it actually reduced greenhouse gas by saving trees and reducing the need to send stuff thousands of miles via mail. 


I signed up myself a few weeks ago and was excited to share this info with you guys right away.  But I wanted to wait a little while to make sure that it actually worked.  I am happy to say, I haven't seen any of this type of stuff in my mailbox in over a fortnight.  Heck, these pieces of mail travel a loooong way just to end up in the trash.  So I am glad that it's an inconvenience I no longer have to deal with.


Every little bit counts.  This suggestion isn't gonna save the planet or anything, but it's one more tool to live greenly and mindfully. 

No comments: